Education and Certifications
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Hiram College, Hiram Ohio
- Master of Social Work, Family Services & Administration, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill NC
- Post Graduate Certificate, Child and Adolescent Treatment, Jewish Social Service Agency, Rockville MD
- Post Graduate Clinical Training, Clinical Social Work Institute, Washington DC
- Certificate in Organizational Consulting, Baltimore-Washington School of Psychoanalysis, Laurel MD
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention, Cornell University, Trained Facilitator
- Clinical Supervisor registered with the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners
- Dialectical Behavioral Training with Masha Linehan, developer of DBT
- Interpersonal Neurobiology Training: Mindsight Institute created by Daniel Seigel, MD
- Gottman Method Training in Couples and Relationship Therapy: Gottman Institute
- Mindful Leader Certification, Whil/Virgin Pulse Workplace Wellness Programs
- 7 Principles for Making Marriage Work, Leader, Gottman Institute
- Bringing Baby Home, Program Educator, Gottman Institute
- Greater Washington Society for Clinical Social Work, former Chair of the Continuing Education Committee
- Washington School of Psychiatry
- Professional Member: Parent Encouragement Program (PEP)
- National Resume Writers Association
- Women Business Owners of Montgomery County
- Providing Therapy to the Gifted Adult, SENG Annual Conference, Williamsburg, VA
- EveryDay Mindfulness Corporate Wellness Event at BroadSoft Inc., Gaithersburg, MD
- Managing Stress Health and Wellness Fair, Walter Johnson High School, N. Bethesda, MD
- 7 Principles for Making Marriage Work, Gottman Institute: Repeat workshop
- Bringing Baby Home, Gottman Institute: Repeat workshop
PROFILE FROM BETHESDA MAGAZINE’S 2016 WOMEN IN BUSINESS
Founder & Executive Director SEQUENCE LLC Rockville & Silver Spring Offices 240-200-5401 x4 firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathleen Landers offers individual, group and couples therapy in addition to career and organizational consulting. She is also licensed by the State of Maryland to provide clinical supervision to other social workers earning their clinical license. Kathleen founded SEQUENCE in 2012, following 10 years as sole proprietor of Landers Counseling and Consulting. She is a licensed clinical social worker with over 30 years of experience.
AS A THERAPIST her style is warm, kind and very direct, using a combination of psychodynamic and behavioral techniques based in current theories of attachment and neuroscience. Previous clients have shared the experience that she inspires hope and models happiness, while offering a reasonable perspective that includes daily coping skills. Her goal is to help clients solve problems, work through feelings, resolve relationship challenges, overcome traumatic experiences and improve long-term happiness.
AS A SUPERVISOR, COACH, OR WORKSHOP PRESENTER, Kathleen is focused on individual performance as well as team and community impact. Bringing our best and most thoughtful selves to the workplace and to our professional roles and relationships requires insight, humor, tenacity, endurance, humility and perspective. She is an analytical and strategic thinker who understands that excellence is reached when we are able to coalesce our experiences into action so well practiced it appears effortless, and even fun. “Leading Leaders” is her executive coaching platform to help those in the roles of authority to bring out the best in themselves and those around them.
KATHLEEN’S WORK HISTORY includes supervisory and leadership roles throughout her career. Early career positions included in 1989 managing a home for adults receiving treatment for HIV/ AIDS at Duke University called ACRA House in Durham NC; Working with abused and neglected adolescents (12-17) in a group home run by Lutheran Family Services in Chapel Hill NC; and working at a secure residential school for adolescents now called the Whitaker Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility in Butner NC. Once relocated to Maryland she directed adolescent groups homes and independent living programs for the organization that is now Hearts and Homes for Youth. She served as a therapist for the Children’s Guild, a special education elementary school, and served as the Clinical Director and program developer for Oakmont School, a special education middle and high school. She then served as the Chairperson of the Local Coordinating Council for the Collaboration Council for Children, Youth and Families, an administrative and policy organization.
Kathleen began private practice in 2002 working with David Irwin MD, a peer reviewed “top” psychiatrist in Montgomery County for the treatment of anxiety and depression. She eventually moved into her own private practice, treating high functioning individuals with anxiety and depression, while also offering leadership and professional coaching. She also continued supervising the training of others in the mental health field.
Kathleen founded Sequence to build upon her private practice by designing an organization that meets the many complex needs faced by adults, adolescents and families. This is accomplished by offering high quality services from well supported professionals who are highly regarded in the field, and who strive to always be improving their skills and knowledge to best serve others.
A native of the Durham/Chapel Hill area of North Carolina, Kathleen enjoys working and raising a family in the Greater Washington area, and is almost over the culture shock after 2 decades in the area. She is an avid reader of any subject, and especially enjoys science, nature, history, anthropology and human behavior. She enjoys travel, museums, hiking, boating and gardening.