Jose Varela, M.ED, LGPC, NCC
Jose's counseling style is direct, compassionate and interactive. He believes the most critical aspects of therapy are listening to the specific experiences and needs of the client and adapting sessions to best fit the individual. To that end, he utilizes a holistic and integrative approach and a variety of therapeutic techniques. He ensures that clients feel understood, secure and supported, helping them feel comfortable to address their concerns.
Joes's counseling perspectives are enriched from having lived in Africa, Europe, and North America. The ability to transition between countries and cultures informs his work with individuals with similar experiences. He has a keen appreciation of different teaching, learning, and developmental styles. He is able to tailor counseling to diverse individuals, cultures, and situations. he is fluent in both English and Portuguese, and conversational in Spanish.
A long-time resident of the DC Metro area, Jose is familiar with a relatable to families who are in stressful and challenging environments and seeking balance. His experience working for the last seven years as an MCPS high school counselor enhances his ability to work successfully with a range of adolescents and their parents.
Areas of Treatment Focus:
- LGBTQ Support
- Gifted/High Achieving Students
- Test/Performance Anxiety
- Teen Concerns: Bullying, School Difficulty, Transition To College
- Learning Differences
- Screen & Gaming Addictions/Overuse Concerns
- Substance Use
- Executive Functioning Concerns
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Parenting and Family Concerns
- College and Post College Transitions
- Managing Stress
- Life Transitions
- Grief & Loss
- Bachelor of Science: Psychology & Criminal Justice, University of Maryland-College Park
- Master's In Education: Counseling, American Military University
- Post Master's Certificate: Counseling, George Washington University
- Maryland Educator Certification-School Counseling (Advanced Professional Certificate)
- National Certified Counselor (NCC) Certification